Dr. Jun Fang is an Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). He obtained a joint Ph.D. training (CSC Scholarship) from Donghua University (State Key Laboratory for Modification of Chemical Fibers and Polymer Materials) and University of Pittsburgh, and received his Ph.D. degree of Biomimetic Materials in 2015 under the supervision of Prof. Xiumei Mo and Prof. William R. Wagner. From 2016 to 2021, he was a postdoctoral research fellow and an assistant project scientist with Prof. Song Li at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). His current research interests include biomaterials, micro/nano manufacturing, stem cells, cell reprogramming, immune engineering, soft electronics and regeneration medicine.
2012-2014 Joint Ph.D. (CSC Program), McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Departments of Bioengineering and Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, USA
Supervisor: Prof. William R. Wagner (McGowan Institute Director, Editor-in-Chief of Acta Biomaterialia, TERMIS Chairman, Fellows of AIMBE, BES, IUSBSE, AHA
2009-2015 Ph.D., Biomimetic Materials, State Key Laboratory for Modification of Chemical Fibers and Polymer Materials, College of Materials Science and Engineering, Donghua University, Shanghai, China
Supervisor: Prof. Xiumei Mo (Director of Shanghai Engineering Technology Center Nano-biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine)
2005-2009 B.S., Biological Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering and Environment, North University of China, Taiyuan, Shanxi, China
2019-2021 Assistant Project Scientist, Department of Bioengineering and Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), USA
Supervisor: Prof. Song Li
(Chancellor Professor, Department
Chair, BMES chairman,
Fellows of AIMBE, BES and AIMBE).
2016-2019 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Bioengineering and Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Supervisor: Prof. Song Li
Developing New Functional Biomaterials
Stem Cell and Cell Reprogramming
Immunoengineering and Immunotherapeutics
Tissue Engineering and Regeneration Medicine
1. Zhaowei Chen#, Hongjun Li#, Yijie Bian, Zejun Wang, Guojun Chen, Xudong Zhang, Yimin Miao, Di Wen, Jinqiang Wang, Gang Wan, Yi Zeng, Peter Abdou, Jun Fang, Song Li, Cheng-Jun Sun, and Zhen Gu*. Bioorthogonal catalytic patch. Nature Nanotechnology. 2021:1-9.
2. Jun Fang#, Junren Sia#, Jennifer Soto, Pingping Wang, LeeAnn K. Li, Yuan-Yu Hsueh, Raymond Sun, Kym Francis Faull, James G. Tidball, Song Li*. Skeletal muscle regeneration via the chemical induction and expansion of myogenic stem cells in situ or in vitro. Nature Biomedical Engineering. 2021, 5(3): 1-16.
3. Yeon Sik Choi#, Yuan-Yu Hsueh#, Jahyun Koo#, Quansan Yang#, Buwei Hu, Zhaoqian Xie, Raudel Avila, Geumbee Lee, Zheng Ning, Claire Liu, Yameng Xu, Young Joong Lee, Jun Fang, Yujun Deng, Song Li*, John A. Rogers*. Stretchable, Dynamic Covalent Polymers for Soft, Long-Lived Bioresorbable Electronic Stimulators Designed to Facilitate Neuromuscular Regeneration. Nature communications. 2020;11(1):1-14.
4. Jun Fang#, Jaekyung Koh#, Qizhi Fang#, Huiliang Qiu, Maani M. Archang, Mohammad Mahdi Hasani-Sadrabadi, Hiromi Miwa, Xintong Zhong, Richard Sievers, Dong-Wei Gao, Dino Di Carlo*, Randall Lee*, Song Li*. Injectable Drug-releasing Microporous Annealed Particle Scaffolds for Treating Myocardial Infarction. Advanced Functional Materials. 2020; 30(43): 202004307. Cover feature
5. Jun Fang#, Yuan-Yu Hsueh, Jennifer Soto, Wujin Sun, Jinqiang Wang, Zhen Gu, Ali Khademhosseini, Song Li*. Engineering Biomaterials with Micro/Nano Technologies for Cell Reprogramming. ACS Nano. 2020;14(2): 1296-1318.
6. Jeffrey J. D. Henry#, Lawrence Delrosario#, Jun Fang#, Sze Yue Wong, Qizhi Fang, Richard Sievers, Surya Kotha, Aijun Wang, Diana Farmer, Praneeth Janaswamy, Randall J. Lee, Song Li. Development of Injectable Amniotic Membrane Matrix for Post-Myocardial Infarction Tissue Repair. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2019; 9(2):19005441.
7. Jinqiang Wang#, Jicheng Yu, Yuqi Zhang, Anna R. Kahkoska, Zejun Wang, Jun Fang, Julian P. Whitelegge, Song Li, John B. Buse, Zhen Gu*. Glucose Transporter Inhibitor-conjugated Insulin Mitigates Hypoglycemia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2019; 116(22):10744-10748.
8. Zhimin Luo#, Wujin Sun*, Jun Fang, KangJu Lee, Song Li, Zhen Gu, Mehmet R. Dokmeci, Ali Khademhosseini*. Biodegradable Gelatin Methacryloyl Microneedles for Transdermal Drug Delivery. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2019;8(3):1801054.
9. Jeffrey J D Henry#, Jian Yu, Aijun Wang, Randall Lee, Jun Fang, Song Li*. Engineering the Mechanical and Biological Properties of Nanofibrous Vascular Grafts for In Situ Vascular Tissue Engineering. Biofabrication. 2017;9(3):035007.
10. Jun Fang#, Song Li*. Advances in Vascular Tissue Engineering. Journal of Medical Biomechanics. 2016;31(4):333-339. Invited review.
11. Jun Fang#, Jialing Zhang#, Jun Du, Yanjun Pan, Jing Shi, Yongxuan Peng, Weiming Chen, Liu Yuan, Sang-Ho Ye, William R. Wagner, Meng Yin*, Xiumei Mo*. Orthogonally Functionalizable Polyurethane with Subsequent Modification with Heparin and Endothelium-Inducing Peptide Aiming for Vascular Reconstruction. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2016;8 (23):14442-14452.
12. Jun Fang#, Jing Wang, Tong Wu, An’lin Yin, Xiumei Mo*. Electrospun Macroporous Fibrous Scaffolds. Journal of Controlled Release. 2015; 213: E60-E61.
13. Jun Fang#, Sang-Ho Ye, Jing Wang, Ting Zhao, Xiumei Mo*, Wagner R. Wagner*. Thiol-click Modification of Cyclic Disulfide Containing Biodegradable Polyurethane Urea Elastomers. Biomacromolecules. 2015;16(5):1622-33.
14. Jun Fang#, Sang-Ho Ye, Venkat Shankarraman, Yixian Huang, Xiumei Mo, and William R. Wagner*. Biodegradable Poly(ester urethane)urea Elastomers with Variable Amino Content for Subsequent Functionalization with Phosphorylcholine. Acta Biomaterialia. 2014;10:4639-4649.
15. Jun Fang#, An’lin Yin, Chunchen Wu, Dawei Li, Tong Wu, Xiumei Mo*. Synthesis and Characterization of Biodegradable poly(ester-urethane)urea for Nerve Tissue Engineering. Journal of Controlled Release. 2013;172:E130.